Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Favorite Supporting Character - Angus Green

FBI Special Agent Angus Green made his first appearance in my M/M romance novel Mi Amor. Adam Beller is the book’s hero, a twenty-something party planner whose primary client, the owner of Vladi Vodka, is in trouble with the law. Here’s where Angus makes his first appearance:



I woke Monday morning to a banging on my door. I hadn’t quite recovered from Jason’s bar mitzvah; the shots of Vladi Vodka the night before, coupled with an awful lot of dancing, hadn’t helped. My head was pounding as I pulled on a pair of boxers and stumbled to the door.

There was a cute red-headed guy in a business suit standing there. “Adam Beller?” he asked.

“That’s me.”

“FBI agent Angus Green. We have a warrant to search the premises and confiscate any materials relating to your business with Vladislav Solonenko.”

At first, I thought it was a hoax. That [my best friend] Jean-Jacques had hired a stripper to come to my door in the guise of an FBI agent. At any moment I expected the guy to peel his clothes off and start dancing.

Angus comes back later in the book to tell Adam what happened to his client. And this is the time when he really came alive to me. Here are a couple of the pictures I used for inspiration.

Love the hair!
So sexy!
    

It was Agent Green. He looked disheveled, as if he’d been up all night. His white shirt was wrinkled, his tie askew, and there were dark circles under his eyes. “What can I do for you?” I asked.

“May I come in?”

I shrugged. “Sure.” I walked toward the kitchen, and over my shoulder I said, “Can I get you anything to drink? Orange juice, water, coffee?”

“I’d kill for some caffeine.”

“I won’t ask you to do that, though I’m sure you’re armed. Have a seat. I’ll get something going.”

My cappuccino maker was earning its keep. I ground some beans, started the brewing, frothed the milk. I didn’t know what had brought Agent Green to my door, but I had a feeling it wasn’t a social call. The longer I could delay whatever it was he wanted, the better.

When I came out of the kitchen with two mugs of cappuccino, I saw him reading an Advocate magazine I’d left on the coffee table. Well, well, I thought. I wondered if Jean-Jacques was right.

“So what brings you here in the middle of a Friday morning?” I asked, sitting down on my desk chair. I leaned across and handed him his coffee.

He sniffed deeply and sighed, then took a sip of the hot brew. “I have some bad news.”

“You’re arresting me?”

He shook his head. “We found Vladislav Solonenko. Yesterday evening. Next to the sewer plant on Virginia Key.”

“What was he doing there?”

“The current must have washed him over there.”

Suddenly I realized what he was saying. Vlad hadn’t been hiding out on Virginia Key, the little island on the way to Key Biscayne. He was dead.

I put my coffee down on the desk. “My God.” I saw Vlad in my mind, lying on his back on the sand, tendrils of seaweed covering him, his dark, dead eyes staring at the sky. I shivered and pushed the vision away.

“I wanted to come and tell you in person. Even though you said your relationship was all business.”

I nodded. “Thank you.” I picked up my coffee and took a deep drink. “I didn’t love him, you know. It was just about the sex, and the business deal. But I did care for him, in a funny way.”

“I understand.”

“Do you?” I asked. “Agent Green, are you gay?”

“I don’t see…” he began. But then he stopped. “Yes, if it matters to you.”

That moment is when I started thinking that maybe Angus Green deserved his own book. I didn’t know what that book was going to be for a long time, but Angus hung around in my subconscious, showing up for another cameo appearance in my YA novel, Soul Kiss.


There will be more about Angus the next time I don't have a guest!

No comments: